The Fitness Advisory - from Joey Atlas

Proper Mindset + Wise Nutrition + Smart Exercise = Fitness Success For You

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Fitness Success

Hi Joey

I'm really good! Thanks for asking.

I have been keeping up to speed with what you are up to via you site & blog, hope that you are as well & good as you seem! It all looks very busy at your end, exciting stuff, good luck with it. I cannot wait for the book etc.

Actually it's kind of mirroring what is happening in my life at present!

You know that pattern of when you start to sort out the crap that you know that you need to face for ages & then the positive stuff starts to snowball off of it? Well that's what has been happening in my life.

If you are interested this is what I has happened.....

You may remember that I have mentioned that I am a sound engineer...i'm self-employed, barely make a living at it etc but, as with all professions, it is my passion & you have to follow your passions when you believe in them.

I got to a point earlier this year where I hated myself, my life, it just wasn't working for me any more, I felt stuck & alone, despite having a wonderful boyfriend of 10 years & a good circle of friends.

I decided to try to do something about it so I picked on the one thing that I hated most about myself & my life & tried to change it.

I had always wanted to be leaner, healthier & it was dawning on me that I could not physically do the job that I had chosen because I was not fit enough. I would do a gig, load PA in & out of a venue & run the gig then I would need two days to recover! Not good! not sustainable.

In a fit of spring madness at the beginning of this year I went on the net & looked for abs exercises because that was the part of my body I hated the most & wanted to change. What I found was your stuff. As I have previously mentioned I did the free exercises & tried to eat better & gradually ended up on the Blow Torch Diet, LBHT & Abs & Core stuff too.

I have gone from 10 1/4 stone (143.5 lbs) to 8 1/2 stone (119 lbs). I have been here for months now! Feel fantastic! Everyone has complimented me & wants to know the secret. I point them towards your site & have loaned some of them the DVDs to see for themselves, before snatching them back as I need them.

This has all totally changed my life. Not only have I lost weight, gained muscle, I have so much energy & confidence that I cringe to look back at that person that I was 8 months ago. I am well aware that 8 months is not a lifetime or even a year but I KNOW that I will never go back to being the way that I was. I feel kind of free, I am determined in my mind, my energy & my actions & I know that I can do anything that I want now. Hell! I even run now & I was one of those people who laughed at joggers in the rain! Now I like running in the rain & even found new & exciting places to run whilst on holiday recently.

Nobody's perfect! On off days I think to myself "Oh well I feel crap! & I don't want to do this or be bothered with that." Then I remember that I am somebody different now & that you are telling me to "F*+~#*g get on with it !" or something & I get up & carry on.

What this has ultimately led to is better career stuff.

I was working out one day, abs & core stuff, & I get a phone call from a friend who runs a studio. They had a call asking for a live sound engineer to do a gig, just down the road from me, as the touring engineer was sick.

Off I trundled at 1 1/2 hours notice. The PA that they had hired in was looking for an engineer, permenantly, as their's had left for another job. So, now that I have the energy to lift PA, run gigs & run home afterwards I am the engineer for a PA that goes all over. I have spent the summer engineering on dome stages all over the country. This autumn we have been doing gigs for the Drifters & the Kommitments. Both of these groups are so pleased with our work that we have now been asked to cover all of their gigs! Our work diary is full for next year! & that's before the random surprise cool stuff that you get to work on with this job!

Oh yeah! & the migranes have still not come back, except for one time I ate a multigrain baguette because I was starving & working & forgot! Just to remind me not to be so stupid! LOL!!!

Anyway, Thanks Again ;-))

What else can I say? It really IS your fault! ;-))

Cheers Joey x

Oh...& sorry for the essay! It seems I had quite a lot I wanted to say ;-)

Julia Atkins
Nottinghamshire, UK

2 Comments:

  • At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Julia,

    First of all I want to say congratulations on being so persistent. I have tried many diets in my lifetime and just stumbled across Joey's site and hope that I will receive results. I do exercise now, but not on a daily basis. I run on the treadmill which I just started doing a couple of years ago versus aerobics classes and the Elyptical machine.

    I am trying really hard to follow the Blow Torch diet, but it is not easy. I have a boyfriend who is super slim and muscular and can eat anything without getting fat. I also have a 12 year old son that needs to eat every night.

    I am 5'2" 130lbs, not terribly overweight, but not slim and sexy like I would like to be.

    Honestly how did you stay on the program and how long did it take before you started seeing results. I just started witht he hip, butt, thigh video.

    Thanks and you are an inspiration.

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi There

    Sorry for not replying earlier, I have only just noticed your comment, don't know if you are going to get this really but here goes.

    To answer some of your questions & try to offer some support.

    Running: I run 2-3 times a week, all weathers! In England so that can be challenging. I have found this helpful more recently than initially. It has really helped with endurance during lunge sequences in LBHT workouts, it has also given me more muscle definition. But this came later not initially.

    Blow Torch Diet: My boyfriend is also thin & eats rubbish so I really understand. He refuses to cook anything that is not pasta or freezer meals, Yuk! So I get my own a lot of the time & so does he. I include him in some meals like the 3 Cs power pasta, this might be good for your son, as I understand it's not as easy to just cook for yourself when there are children to consider. Might be worth asking Joey for some other recipes as he has kids & will know far more about this than I.

    As far as following the diet goes, I pretty much stick to it as much as I can but i'm not going to lie to you & tell you that I eat just that all of the time. I work as a sound engineer. I do take out meals with me but it's only possible so much of the time. I also vary it, mange tout instead of sugar peas or sometimes avocado, omitting the olive oil etc. I don't eat meat so will go for grilled tuna & steamed veges like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, red cabbage etc

    My saving grace has been to keep a food diary. I have listed the most common foods I eat in the front in sections, veges, fruits, cereals, etc with calorific values. I add up all of my calories daily.

    There is a great online calorie counter called CalorieKing. This has freed me up, even if I am having a hard or naughty day or am being fed random food at work I can try to count calories, then it's a case of being strict with myself.

    Results: In the back of the first part of the Blowtorch diet there is a section called, "Insider Tips for Loosing Bodyfat Permenantly" It tells you to look in the mirror daily & tell yourself that it is working & that you can see the changes.

    I started the exercises & drifted onto the diet gradually & literally saw results within a couple of weeks! maybe even less. I thought it was my imagination, I was so paranoid that it was not working that I did not dare to step onto the scales for several weeks. By the time I did weigh myself I had lost between 7-12lbs I couldn't believe it, but I knew that something was changing because I could do maximum reps of the exercises quite quickly.

    Staying on the Program: has happened for me because I can see the results, I have amazed myself by this. I mark all of my workouts on a calendar & all of my food in a book, this somehow makes me more accountable for my actions. It is also an interesting record of what you can & cannot get away with. My metabolism has changed so much, the changes are so literally more than skin deep as it were.

    I hope that this is of some help if you do get to read this. If you have any more questions i'll be pleased to try to answer them.

    Good Luck

    Julia ;-))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home